Below you will find an updated version of our Electronic Device Policy. Please read through it to be aware of changes that have been made by staff after giving it a trial period.
Hilliard City Schools permits students to bring and use electronic devices in school. Student will be permitted to access our building’s public Wi-Fi. Our building’s Wi-Fi has strong restrictions not allowing students to access inappropriate websites such as YouTube, Face Book, MySpace plus many more. However, not every site can be blocked based on constant loop-holds with technology. A conversation must be had with you and your child about what is school appropriate and what is not. The staff at Station will also have the same conversation. It is expected that you and your child read and discuss the Electronic Device and Network Acceptable Use sections found in Hilliard’s Student Handbook for 6th-8th Grade.
NOTE! Hilliard City Schools and staff are NOT RESPONSIBLE for any lost, stolen or damaged devices. This is the parent’s and child’s choice to bring a device to school. If an electronic device is stolen, it will be the parent’s responsibility to file a police report.
- All electronic devices must be set to silence mode at all times with the exclusion of headphone use. No rings or alert sounds are permitted.
- Students are permitted to listen to music with headphones only.
- Students are permitted to use the district’s Wi-Fi and must adhere to HCS’s Network Acceptable Use Policy.
- Students are NOT allowed to use their camera or video for any reason unless permitted by a staff member for educational purposes. This is part of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Students are permitted to text during Lunch and Recess only. Students are not allowed to make phone calls without staff permission. (Remember –Every picture/video/text is stamped with a time and date. Anything written that is deemed inappropriate by Hilliard Station Staff during school time will receive the appropriate consequence as stated in the Student Handbook.)
Consequences for not following the established rules:
- The staff will remind students of the rules during the first week of school.
- The following consequences will come into play if a student does not abide by the Hilliard Station Electronic Device Criterion:1st Offense: The electronic device will be confiscated by the teacher. At the end of the class period, the teacher will return the device to the student and the student will apologize to the teacher.
2nd Offense: The electronic device will be confiscated by the teacher. At the end of the period, the teacher will bring the device to the main office. The teacher will notify the parent of the second offense and the parent will have to come to the main office to pick up the phone. The student will apologize to the teacher and principal.
3rd Offense: Same as the Second Offense but student and parent will meet with the school principal. Student will be told that his/her device must be kept in his/her locker. The consequence for breaking this rule is a Saturday School.
Further information will be given to students and parents about the distribution and use of Hilliard City School’s iPads in sixth grade.