Good afternoon parents and students of WMS. Here are the spring sports updates. WMS offers the following Spring Sports for our students. Please see the list below. Parents, please make sure that you all have signed up your student-athlete in Final Forms and chosen the sport they want to try. Please make sure that you have chosen 1 sport for spring sports. There are some MS athletes that have selected every possible MS sport that we offer and that cannot happen. Please make sure you check the sport you want to play.
- Boys Baseball
- Girls Softball
- Boys Tennis
- Track & Field- Coed
- Boys Volleyball
- Girls Lacrosse
- Boys Lacrosse
All of the sports listed above are sanctioned OHSAA sponsored sports, including Boys Volleyball. This is the first year for BVB being an official sport this spring.
Sport start dates, coach names, and times for each sport are listed below.
- Boys Baseball– Monday March 6th- boys 1st week will be immediately after school. 8th grade Coach = John Klie, 7th grade Coach = Sam Pierson. Please note, Flex baseball will not be offered this season. Right now, Final Forms the numbers we have signed up for baseball will not constitute having a Flex team. Also, right now our numbers are not strong and we may not be able to field two teams, if that remains the same, we will have a single combined team playing the 8th grade schedule. We are hoping to have two teams, 8th grade & 7th grade.
- Girls Softball- Tuesday Feb. 28th- 1st week girls will be immediately after school, 2nd week they will be in the 4:30 to 6 time slot. 8th grade Coach = Audrey Mowery, 7th grade Coach = Tonya Curry, Flex Coach = Carly Santoro. Numbers for softball look strong right now so we anticipate having 3 teams this spring.
- Boys Tennis- Monday March 6th- Practice times will be from 3-4:45 on most days. MS Coach = David Banyots.
- Track & Field- Track will start on Feb. 28th. Tues and Thurs. will be a boys only meeting day. Wed. & Friday will be a girls only meeting day. The next week, all team members will meet after school on the track for practices that will last until 4:30. Boys Coach = Sam Stille, Girls Coach = Karen Lipp. Please dress appropriately for outside practice.
- Boys Volleyball- Starting on Feb. 21st. Practices will be from 6-8 in main gym on most days. MS Coach = Derek Topp
- Girls Lacrosse- Starting on Mon. Feb. 27th– Practice times will be from 5-7 on most days and practice will be outside. Head Coach = Kelley Ross, Assistant Coach = Scott Dempsey. Numbers looks good for girls’ lacrosse. Our league has scheduled us in the 2-team group and we plan on keeping that for the spring. Please dress appropriately for outside practice.
- Boys Lacrosse- Starting Tues. Feb. 21st. Practice time will be from 5:30-7:30 on most days and practice will be outside. Head Coach = Patrick Schlick, Assistant Coach = Josh Rose. Numbers look strong for boys’ lacrosse as well. Our league scheduled us in the 2-team group. Please dress appropriately for outside practice.
- Please note, B/G lacrosse can use the Aux. Gym at WMS for indoor practices if coaches ask for it. The time slot available to both teams is from 7-9 PM. Basically it would be 1 hour each or teams can rotate days of the week to use the full two hours. Coaches will communicate how they want to proceed with this option.
OHSAA official start dates vary by sport. All sports but boys’ tennis may start on Monday Feb. 20th. Boys tennis can start on Monday March 6th. The different dates listed above have all been chosen by each head coach for each sport at WMS. These are the dates they feel comfortable with as a start date for their sport. HCSD does not have school on Feb. 20th, so sports that want to go early are starting on Feb. 21st.
Also, please note the following dates listed below are dates where sports cannot practice inside at Weaver due to concerts, plays, etc., which explains the varied start dates.
- Wednesday Feb. 22nd
- Monday Feb. 27th
- March 20th & 21st- WMS Spring Play
- Thursday March 23rd- Winter Guard
- Saturday March 25th- OMEA Solo & Ensemble Contest- entire building being used all day.
Final notes: The mandatory spring parent meeting for all spring sport parents and athletes for both MS & HS families will be March 2nd starting at 6:30 PM in the Davidson PAC. Just a friendly reminder that if you have already attended one of these meetings for winter or fall, you do not need to attend this meeting.
2nd note is about Spring Sports pictures. Our Spring picture date for all HS & MS athletes will be Monday March 6th from 3-8 PM at Davidson HS. We will have a schedule posted in the near future and order forms will be handed out soon as well.