Bradley 365198 Darby 362571 Davidson 362570
ACT or SAT
How are they different?
The ACT is considered a more “curriculum-based” test since it tests their academic preparedness for college in the areas of English, Math, Reading, and Science specifically by calling on information they have learned in their high school coursework.
The SAT is traditionally thought of as a test that measures a student’s critical thinking skills, testing their ability to analyze and solve problems in Math, Reading, and Writing.
SAT Overview ACT Overview
*3 hr. 50 min. examination *3 hr. examination
*Passage based questions from Literature *Heavy in grammar and reading
*Tested on higher-level math including Trig. *Tested on Alg., Geom., & Trig.
*Math = 50% of score *Math = 25% of score
*One non-calculatore question *School curriculum based
*No Guessing penalty *No penalty for guessing
*No Science *Science reasoning section
*Grammar – approximately 30 tested rules *English grammar section
*Scored between 400-1600 *Math formulas not provided
* No penalty for wrong answers *No penalty for wrong answers
*Optional Writing section *Optional Writing section
TEST PREP INFO
In addition to free test agency preparation (www.actstudent.org and www.sat.collegeboard.com a sampling of commercial test-prep agencies are listed for students and parents.
- Kaplan www.kaptest.com or 800-KAP-TEST
- www.actreview.com 614- 834-8886
- Princeton Review 800-2REVIEW
- Tutoring Club www.tutoringclub.com (Hilliard) 614-664-9474
- March 2 Success online test prep www.march2Success.com
- College Smiths: www.CollegeSmiths.com
- BWS Educational Consulting – Brian Stewart. email: firstname.lastname@example.org 614-353-4725
Hilliard City School District does not endorse any test prep service but offers information and opportunities as a service to students and their parents.