21st Century Community Learning Center
Brown and Horizon Elementary schools are excited to announce that we get to continue our before and after school programming! We miss seeing your children every day at school, and we are staying committed to serving your child in a safe and new way.
April 13 through May 28, Brown Elementary and Hilliard Horizon Elementary will offer enrichment activities to all of our students. All activities will be offered online and will continue to be free to everyone. All students will have a course on their Canvas page called 21st Century Enrichment.
Students are encouraged to click on this Canvas page when they are finished with their assignments. We have a list of extracurricular activities students can choose from each day. Some activities require enrollment at a specific time such as Yoga and ROX.
We encourage you to log into the class and see what wonders exist! If you have any questions please reach out to either Ms. Campbell at Horizon (Tamar_Campbell@hboe.org), or Mrs. Hall at Brown (Monica_Hall@hboe.org).
Hilliard Horizon Elementary is the recipient of a 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant. This grant is provided by the Ohio Department of Education.
Description of the Program
The program has two components. Hilliard Horizon’s 21st Century Community Learning Center includes a morning program and an after school program.
Selected students arrive at Hilliard Horizon at 7:45 am to begin their school day. This morning session is called “Power Hour”. Students meet in a select small group to work on academic skills. Teachers from Hilliard Horizon meet the students in the classroom and work on specific academic needs. The students note that they love this time because it gives them a chance to ask questions and get a start on their academic day.
- Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI)
- Targeted Reading
- Orton Gillingham-based phonics instruction
- Do the Math
Blended Learning through online programs:
- ST Math
After School Programming
Each student enrolled at Hilliard Horizon Elementary has the opportunity to participate in our after school programming called “New Horizons”. Students are able to choose the youth development class of their choice. The students pick the class of their choice and attend when that session is offered after school.
- Partnerships include OSU, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, certified school staff, Academy EDU students, See Kids Dream, local businesses and parents.
Parent Engagement Activities
- Parent Engagement Nights for the 2019-2020 school year:
- Oct. 6: Fall Family Fun Day- Cardboard Challenge, bounce houses, inflatables, carnival games, Museum displays
- December 13: Cookies and Cocoa – winter choir and chimes performance, crafts
April 17: Family Science Night- science experiments and activities for the whole family May 4: Spring Arts Festival- student art work displayed throughout the building, choir performance, and activities
- Parent Classes:
- Tolles Career and Technical Center offers free English classes for parents and community members who desire to learn the language- classes are held twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:45-6:30 p.m. at Horizon
- Parents attend to learn to speak English.
- Creates a connection between school and parents who do not speak English as their primary language.
- Parents are invited to teach after-school classes.