Is online learning the right choice for you or your son/daughter?
Online courses offer many benefits for students. These courses offer more flexibility than what can be found in a traditional classroom. The education that students receive in Hilliard’s online courses aligns with what they would receive in a classroom, since all of our courses are designed and taught by our own high quality Hilliard teachers. Many students experience a great deal of success with online courses. But, online courses are not the best educational fit for every student. Understanding the expectations and commitment required to be successful in an online course are important for any student and parent.
What types of students take online courses?
- Take advantage of enrichment opportunities such as Zoo School, Columbus State, Mentorship, etc.
- Have personal or health issues and need flexibility with attendance
- Struggle with anxiety or situational stress
- Are professional athletes or musicians
- Desire to enter the work force early
- Have full schedules and want to earn additional credits
- Want to learn more about a specific topic (ex: science) to be more prepared in college
- Need to recover credits to stay on track for graduation
- Are pregnant or who are also parents
- Plan to graduate early
- Are traveling abroad
Do online students stop attending their home schools?
Flexibility is the key word when it comes to being an online student in Hilliard. What being an online student looks like on a day to day basis varies from student to student. Our online students usually fall into one of these descriptions:
- Attend classes at their home schools while taking online courses in the evening
- Register for online courses in the January/February, if interested.
- Online courses can be found listed in the Program of Studies and include “OL” within the course code.
- Contact your guidance counselor at your home school if the registration window is closed.
- Work from home full time
- Contact Extensions Counselor Holly Fissel to learn more.
- Complete coursework with support from a learning coach as part of the Personal Success Network at the ILC