Tharp is partnering with the American Red Cross to host a blood drive through the Future Blood Donor Program. This program will introduce students to the importance of blood donation and will give them an opportunity to show leadership by recruiting blood donors. The blood drive is scheduled for Wednesday, February 8th from 2:00PM to 7:00PM in our school gymnasium. Support your child and our school by donating blood, recruiting other blood donors, or volunteering the day of the blood drive. To schedule an appointment at www.redcrossblood.org, enter sponsor code: Tharp. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you have any questions or if you would like to volunteer your time on the day of the drive.
We are excited to host our second book fair of the year! We have all kinds of things in store in the coming weeks.
- January 30, 31 & February 1, 2, 3- Books vs. eBooks showdown! During lunch this week, students can vote to determine the winner. Do Tharp students prefer reading actual hard cover books or would they rather read eBooks on a device? Fill the containers at lunch with your spare change to cast your vote. Money collected will be donated to All For Books, the Scholastic program that helps get books into the hands of students and schools in need. The money we raise will be used to provide books to students in our own building and will be matched by Scholastic to distribute books to children in need through organizations such as Kids In Need Foundation, Reader to Reader, Inc., and the National Center for Families Learning.
- February 13, 14- All students will have the opportunity to browse the books at the book fair, make wish lists using the Scholastic Book Fairs app, and enter into a drawing for free books and posters on the last day of the fair.
- February 13, 14, 15, 16- “EAT, READ, PLAY” To connect our book fair to the Fuel Up to Play 60 initiatives, any student who takes advantage of our school breakfast will get entered into a drawing for a free book on the last day of our fair. Students will receive an entry each day they come to breakfast, giving their bodies the fuel they need to learn! To find out more about our school breakfast program click HERE.
- February 15th- The book fair will stay open late so that families can shop during conference night.
- February 16th– The fair closes at 12:30 but you can shop online until February 21st by going to our book fair homepage.
Parents and Guardians can now take advantage of our Text Messaging Service that we will be implementing this month. Our school utilizes the SchoolMessenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.
You can participate in this service by opting in on Friday, January 13, 2017.
You should have received a text message. You needed to respond to this message to opt in. Or, at any time after January 13 you can send a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587.
If you did not receive the text, please first check HomeAccess to be sure you have added your cell phone as one of your contact numbers.
You will also be able to opt out of the messages at any time by simply replying to one of our messages with “Stop”. SchoolMessenger is compliant with the Student Privacy Pledge, so you can rest assured that your information is safe and will never be given or sold to anyone.
*Terms and Conditions – Message frequency varies. Standard message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel. Mobile carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages. See www.schoolmessenger.com/txt for more info.
The Hilliard City School District will begin Kindergarten Registration on Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year. If your child will be five years of age on or before September 30, 2017, he/she is eligible to start kindergarten during the 2017-2018 school year. Read More…
Leadership Council is hosting a staff volleyball game for Tharp students on Wednesday, January 25th from 2:30pm to 3:15pm. Students must have a ride ready to pick them up at Tharp by 3:15pm. Students can watch the game by paying $2 at the door and proceeds will go toward our Lead a Legacy Scholarship given to past Tharp students. We are asking south wing (teams G, R, S) students to wear black and north wing (teams E, I , T) students to wear white!
As a follow up to the School Start Time Task Force’s work last spring, the Board of Education approved a resolution in support of later school start times for Elementary and Middle School students.
After reviewing the top two options from the Start Time Task Force we combined parts from each option for the recommendation. Therefore, in the 2017/18 school year the 6th grade and middle school start times will move back to 8:00 a.m. with a dismissal at 2:45 p.m. We are also going to push back our elementary schools 15 minutes. (The elementary schools will have two starting times, those will be determined in January.) Read More…
New this year we will be using School Messenger to CALL all parents and guardians in our District to notify them of weather delays or cancelations. It’s imperative that your phone number is correct in Home Access. The calls will go to PRIMARY numbers only, so be sure you have the number you want weather calls to go to listed as your primary number.
In order to test this system, we will do a test call tomorrow, Friday December 9 at 4pm. This test call will go to all parents and staff. It will also go to community members who are signed up on School Messenger.
We will also still send an email, post on Twitter and Facebook, post on our building web pages and notify local media when we have weather delays or cancelations.