Please join Superintendent John Marschhausen for coffee during one of his upcoming Coffee Connections. These are informal events where community members can stop by, grab a cup of coffee and chat with the Superintendent. Please make plans to attend one of these.
- March 15, 8-9:30 am at Panera, Mill Run
- March 16, 10-11am at Starbucks, Mill Run
- March 17, 8-9:30 am at Coffee Connections, Downtown Hilliard
As a follow up to the School Start Time Task Force’s work last spring, the Board of Education approved a resolution in support of later school start times for Elementary and Middle School students. We know this will cause changes for our families, and we wanted to give you as much time as possible to make any necessary adjustments to your schedules.
We are excited to host our second book fair of the year! We have all kinds of things in store in the coming weeks.
- January 30, 31 & February 1, 2, 3- Books vs. eBooks showdown! During lunch this week, students can vote to determine the winner. Do Tharp students prefer reading actual hard cover books or would they rather read eBooks on a device? Fill the containers at lunch with your spare change to cast your vote. Money collected will be donated to All For Books, the Scholastic program that helps get books into the hands of students and schools in need. The money we raise will be used to provide books to students in our own building and will be matched by Scholastic to distribute books to children in need through organizations such as Kids In Need Foundation, Reader to Reader, Inc., and the National Center for Families Learning.
- February 13, 14- All students will have the opportunity to browse the books at the book fair, make wish lists using the Scholastic Book Fairs app, and enter into a drawing for free books and posters on the last day of the fair.
- February 13, 14, 15, 16- “EAT, READ, PLAY” To connect our book fair to the Fuel Up to Play 60 initiatives, any student who takes advantage of our school breakfast will get entered into a drawing for a free book on the last day of our fair. Students will receive an entry each day they come to breakfast, giving their bodies the fuel they need to learn! To find out more about our school breakfast program click HERE.
- February 15th- The book fair will stay open late so that families can shop during conference night.
- February 16th– The fair closes at 12:30 but you can shop online until February 21st by going to our book fair homepage.
Tharp is partnering with the American Red Cross to host a blood drive through the Future Blood Donor Program. This program will introduce students to the importance of blood donation and will give them an opportunity to show leadership by recruiting blood donors. The blood drive is scheduled for Wednesday, February 8th from 2:00PM to 7:00PM in our school gymnasium. Support your child and our school by donating blood, recruiting other blood donors, or volunteering the day of the blood drive. To schedule an appointment at www.redcrossblood.org, enter sponsor code: Tharp. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you have any questions or if you would like to volunteer your time on the day of the drive.
Thank you to everyone who came out to support our teachers in the annual staff volleyball game! All the money collected will be used to support the Leave a Legacy scholarship, a scholarship given to a selected high school senior and former Tharp student.
This winter, Hilliard Tharp will provide sixth grade students the opportunity to participate in after school extracurricular activities. A variety of courses will be offered on different days and at different times. Please sign up soon as spots are limited and classes begin the week of January 30th.
Movie & Discussion
The Screenagers movie probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including the director’s own, and depicts messy struggles, over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction. Through surprising insights from authors and brain scientists solutions emerge on how we can empower kids to best navigate the digital world. Movie runtime is 1 hour followed by a 30 minute panel discussion. Appropriate for teens and adults (Screenagersmovie.com)
7:00pm – 8:30pm
Darby PAC, 4200 Leppert Road
Parents and Guardians can now take advantage of our Text Messaging Service that we will be implementing this month. Our school utilizes the SchoolMessenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.
You can participate in this service by opting in on Friday, January 13, 2017.
You should have received a text message. You needed to respond to this message to opt in. Or, at any time after January 13 you can send a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587.
If you did not receive the text, please first check HomeAccess to be sure you have added your cell phone as one of your contact numbers.
You will also be able to opt out of the messages at any time by simply replying to one of our messages with “Stop”. SchoolMessenger is compliant with the Student Privacy Pledge, so you can rest assured that your information is safe and will never be given or sold to anyone.
*Terms and Conditions – Message frequency varies. Standard message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel. Mobile carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages. See www.schoolmessenger.com/txt for more info.