Hiring and retaining high-quality educators that promote student learning helps the district meet its mission of ensuring every student is ready for tomorrow. During the January 13, 2014 Board of Education meeting, seven teachers earned the status of either Ohio Master Teacher or National Board Certification were recognized.
Ohio Master Teachers demonstrate excellence inside and outside of the classroom through consistent leadership and focused collaboration to maximize student learning. Applicants submit a lengthy portfolio that is then reviewed for seven different areas as specified by the Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession. Once the initial certification is earned, educators may also renew their Master Teacher status. Congratulations to the following Hilliard City Schools’ teachers who earned or renewed this certification:
- Angela Davoll – Hilliard Station Sixth Grade School;
- Jay Cauley, renewal – Hilliard Weaver Middle School;
- Shawn Malone – McVey Innovative Learning Center;
- Jean Shackle, renewal – Hilliard Memorial Middle School; and,
- Amy St. Pierre, renewal – Britton Elementary School.
National Board Certification is an advance teaching credential that is earned through a rigorous, peer-reviewed process that ensures teachers have proven skills to advance student achievement. National Board Certified teachers may renew their credentials every 10 years. The board recognized the latest educators to join this elite group:
- Debbie Bryant, Avery Elementary School; and,
- Samantha Bortz, Hilliard Preschool.
Since 2008, 94 Hilliard Schools’ teachers have earned their National Board Certification and an additional 55 teachers met the criteria for Ohio Master Teacher status.