APPLY TO A RANGE OF COLLEGES –
“DREAM” OR “REACH”; “BALL PARK”; “SAFETY” OR “LOOKS GOOD” …. going from 3500 to 1 !!!
1. Start as early as possible. OBSERVE DEADLINES(Admission, Program, $, FAFSA)
(Some as early as November 3, Miami U. Harrison Scholarship; many OSU Merit Scholarships (Morrill Scholars 12/1). Many schools reward early applications!!!
- Know difference between early action, early decision, regular decision, etc.
- Apps without test scores okay but scores sent by test agency must arrive by deadlines!! (Direct Report!)
- Programs may require special app; deadline (e.g. OU Honors 12/1, Journalism&Visual Comm. 12/15)
2. Transcript Release Form on file with Mrs. Leeka; $2.00 per transcript. Profile/resume on file
3. Darby’s part begins by you checking in with Mrs. Leeka. Complete Transcript Request Form. Provide/download proper forms.
Request secondary school reports (SSR)/counselor report and transcript at least 10 working days prior to the deadline. (Goal – submit your application for regular admission by November 1st). Obviously, EARLIER for Early Decision, Early Action. Deadline between mid December and mid January. Request transcript before you submit application.
In submitting paper application your part includes/student sends:
- completed application
- fee (check/money order/electronic transfer/credit card); Fee Waivers
- essay and other attachments (if applicable)
- secondary school report/counselor form/college prep form that you have provided (you complete student header information) evaluation/comments-your counselor?
- mid-year report form that student provides (if applicable); optional midyear reports
4. Paper application –
Put name on each page of application packet (forms, essays, resume, etc.)
- Neatness counts! Practice on a Xerox copy. Type (preferred) or print (black ink)
- Follow directions (e.g. cap letters, blue or black ink, etc.) – READ THROUGH FIRST!
- Personal statement, essay(s); when is optional essay mandatory?
- Proofread: have someone else review app; English teacher read essay(s)
- Keep Xerox copy of final product.
- Originals have been lost on the way to or at the final destination
5. Online/electronic application
Download any secondary school reports (SSR), counselor reports, college prep, recommendation forms, etc. Provide forms to Mrs. Bulger in the guidance office and teacher recommendations to appropriate teacher(s) or e-mail to Mr. Palazzo/ counselor/ teacher(s) (inform Mrs. Bulger of recs). Print and save a copy of your entire completed application for your records.
6. Recommendations –
Number? (“…do you know me well enough to write a (good) recommendation?”)
- Give teacher at least two weeks to write (10 working days, plus)
- Provide profile, resume, recommendation forms; addressed, stamped envelope
- Waive your right to review?
- If applicable, have teacher send original recommendation (or a copy) directly to college, agency, dept. etc. Provide stamped addressed envelopes.
- Follow up on progress/“Anything else you need from me?”/follow up with thank you.
7. Common Application
(400+ schools accept) paper or on-line. www.commonapp.org
8. Use of the Internet (college search, electronic application, financial aid, etc.)
BE AWARE OF DEADLINES!!