Boy Scouts of America Career Exploring Program: Exploring’s purpose is to provide experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults. Benefits include mentoring, internships, and community service and the program is aligned to the 16 US Dept. of Education career clusters.
Columbus Zoo Career Exploration Programs & Teen Volunteer Opportunities: ages 13 & older
Are you interested in a career working with animals? Have you ever thought about working at a Zoo or Aquarium? Career day is an opportunity for students to find answers to these questions. Zoo staff will discuss how volunteering, interning and related-work experience can give them an edge over others and explain what they do in their day-to-day activities. Please visit our website for more information (https://reservations.columbuszoo.org/Info.aspx?EventID=8).
Keeper for a Day
Keeper for a Day is an exciting experience that gives animal enthusiasts, age 13 and up, a firsthand look atworking in a zoo. To register for Keeper for a Day please visit our website (https://reservations.columbuszoo.org/Info.aspx?EventID=8).
ZooAides (Teen Volunteers)
The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s ZooAide program is comprised of teens who demonstrate natural leadership skills, a comprehensive knowledge of animals and a high degree of professionalism and emotional maturity.
- Interviews will occur between March and April (specific dates and times ill be announced later)
- If accepted into the program, training will occur in May (specific dates and times ill be announced later)
- Volunteering starts in June – Volunteers must commit to volunteering 60 hours between June and early August.
- Application Advice:
- Make sure to have all components of the application in on time
- Complete the application by yourself truthfully without omission to abilities and/or experiences
- Interview Advice:
- Take a moment to personally introduce yourself to some of the Zoo staff and current volunteers conducting the interviews
- Dress appropriately
- Be yourself!
- Answer questions honestly and to the best of your ability
- Ask questions! (This is your chance to get a better understanding of the ZooAideprogram and what would be expected of you)
Military.com This link lists the branches of the armed services and provides their web addresses.